For many seniors, keeping up with a home takes tremendous effort and financial investment. That’s why many older adults decide to sell their homes and take advantage of the benefits of senior housing. But for the estimated 2.4 million seniors in the United States who identify as LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, queer, intersex and asexual plus allies), finding a supportive senior housing community can be especially challenging. Due to a lack of LGBTQIA+-specific affordable senior housing options and inadequate staff training, there is a very high potential for discrimination and mistreatment of seniors.
According to SAGE, a nonprofit organization that advocates on behalf of older LGBTQIA+ community members, nearly half of same-sex couples have faced some type of housing discrimination. The National Health Law Program also reports that some health care providers refuse to care for LGBTQIA+ patients, leading to treatment delays and worse health outcomes, a serious concern for nursing home residents.
This article features:
- LGBTQIA+-Friendly Retirement Communities and Villages
- LGBTQIA+-Friendly Independent Living Communities
- LGBTQIA+-Friendly Assisted Living Communities
- LGBTQIA+-Friendly Memory Care Communities
- Affordable LGBTQIA+-Friendly Housing Options for Low-Income Seniors
- Financial Assistance for LGBTQIA+ Seniors
- Resources for LGBTQIA+ Seniors